Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kuma's Corner - Chicago, Illinois

I agree that Chicago is far away from sunny South Florida but this place deserves a mention.  Kuma’s Corner, "Kuma" meaning "bear" in Japanese. kuma's Corner has become a landmark in the streets of Chicago. It would’ve been a crime if my brother and I didn’t stop in. Conveniently just 15 minutes from our hotel we hopped on the Blue line with our mouths watering!

I’ve heard about this place for years and finally made the trip to Chicago to eat it up!  Kuma's is notorious for having a wait of at least an hour or more, no matter what time of day you go.  If you plan on going during regular dining hours for lunch or dinner, you could be quoted 2 hours or more.  The dining room is extremely small and as the patio begins to close for winter time, the seating decreases big time.

As we sat down I was excited and ready to eat.  We opened the menu and immediately decided we were coming back again.  They have so many burgers to choose from with creative toppings that seem endless.  I asked the waitress for the hottest and spiciest burger on the menu.  I ended up eating the Plague Bringer which came with roasted garlic mayo, tortilla strips, house-made hot sauce, fresh garlic, pepper jack, and sliced jalapenos... all for $12.  My brother, being a huge Zeppelin fan, went with the Led Zeppelin with home-made pulled pork, bacon, cheddar, and pickles.  I really didn’t fall in love with Chicago until I ate at Kuma’s!  By far, one of the best burgers I have ever eaten.  I have yet found a pattie in South Florida with this amount of flavor in it.  Top 5 on my list for sure.

They have a wide variety of beers as well.  I enjoyed Three Floyds (gumball head american wheat) and Anderson Valley (oatmeal stout).  I forgot which beer my brother chose but it’s pictured.  Think it was called Avery.  It was delicious.  I read reviews about how good their mac 'n' cheese is but I didn't have room to try it this time.  They have so many burgers and I sure as hell don't want to risk missing another chance to try one.  But next time I’m in Chicago, I'm having the mac 'n' cheese!

 If you’re flying to Chicago or simply passing thur, you owe it to yourself to make this stop!  Enjoy their wonderful food and great beer selection. Service is OK at best but the food really makes up for it and they're open till late. I have to show the “windy city” some love here! Kuma’s is a five star!


2 comments:

  1. Has someone who visits Chicago every year I got to throw you some mad love for this. Kuma’s is awesome!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for showing "Chi-Town" love... word!

    Slick

    ReplyDelete